Applications for the 2017 Gallipoli and Bill Hall Scholarships open on 1st January 2017 and close on 1st March 2017.
Information for the 2017 Scholarships is now available .
Congratulations to the 2016 recipients:
~ Gallipoli Scholarship ~
Kaitlyn Browning, Darrell Burnet and Joanna Endacott
~ Bill Hall Scholarship ~
William Byrnes and Abby Cartwright
You are invited to apply for one of up to seven Gallipoli or Bill Hall Scholarships which will be available in 2017. Winning one of these scholarships could help you finance the first year of a degree course in university in 2017. The closing date for applications for this scholarship is the 1st of March of the year in which you are applying
Aims of the Gallipoli Scholarship
The Gallipoli Scholarship's first aim is to provide significant financial assistance to the most deserving and meritorious Australian applicant(s), resident in New South Wales or the ACT, or commencing the first year of their first degree at a NSW or ACT University degree course in 2017. In assessing suitability for an award, a 60% weighting will apply to financial need or hardship and a 40% weighting to educational merit. The scholarship support does not extend beyond one year.
The second aim of the Scholarship is to perpetuate among Australians an understanding of those enduring traditions of perseverance, courage and self-sacrifice which were established so indelibly in the cause of world peace at Gallipoli and thereafter on other battlefields in World War I. Subsequently these traditions have defined the Australian response to war.
In WW2, our soldiers at Milne Bay were the first to halt the advance on land of the Japanese Army. Bill Hall OAM BEM, the founder of the Gallipoli Scholarship, served in that battle. A second component of the Fund’s activities is to provide a scholarship for those descended from WW2 veterans. The Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship is for such descendants, and was awarded for the first time in 2006.
Each scholarship will be worth $5000 tax free to undertake the first year of an approved degree study at a NSW or ACT University. The $5000 is distributed to successful applicants in two packages - one at the presentation ceremony, and the second on completion of the first semester. Continuation for the full year will depend on satisfactory progress each semester.
An applicant for the Scholarship must be:
- A lineal descendant of an Australian World War I ex-serviceman or ex-servicewoman, or, for the Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship, a lineal descendant of an Australian World War II veteran.
- An Australian citizen resident in NSW or the ACT.
- Under 25 years of age on or before the 1st of March in the year in which you are applying.
- Eligible for payment of Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy or a similar government benefit.
- Able to explain the importance of the Gallipoli tradition to the people of our nation, or, for the Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship, able to explain the importance of the battle at Milne Bay.
- Commencing the first year of your course in 2017.
Your application will provide details of your eligibility by:
- Providing a copy of your family tree which traces your relationship to the WW1 or WW2 veteran and the relevant regimental details of that veteran.
- Including a copy of your birth certificate and evidence of your lineal descent, such as copies of relevant birth, death and marriage certificates.
- Substantiating the circumstances relating to financial needs or hardship on which you base your application.
- Enclosing your essay describing the Gallipoli tradition or, for the Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship, your essay concerning Milne Bay.
- Providing the relevant documentation as requested in the application which includes, HSC or final school year results, your offer of a place at university in 2017, your school reference or Principal’s report, and evidence of your eligibility for payment of Youth Allowance or similar benefit.
Interested applicants are urged to read the selection criteria and educational requirements listed at gallipolischolarship.org.au before submitting an application. Applications for 2017 scholarships must be received by 1 March 2017.
For more information and how to apply, please click here.
RSL & Services Clubs Association is proud to be a supporter of the Gallipoli Scholarship.